Common mistakes retailers still make in ecommerce
John Ashton | Ecommerce Guru | More2 | 11:45am – 12:00pm
John kicks off by telling us of his 20 years experience, starting in 1998 when he built his first website for the agency Boden.
Below are just a few of the ecommerce pitfalls he’s witnessed and encountered along the way.
John Ashton’s slides:
Being fooled by SEO and PPC jargon
- SEO language even confuses Boards of Directors
- We talk a different language to the rest of the company
- SEO and PPC is hard – it’s a phenomenal asset to be able to support and justify SEO to communicate its value
We need a new website
- You don’t need a new website (John is quite adamant about this!)
- Don’t start again and spend millions of pounds – Reinvent your current site and optimise it for conversion
Not having a content plan
- Write in the style of your customer
- Employ qualified people who know how to create engaging content that is relevant to your specific audience
Highly important people’s opinions or HIPOs
- You can counteract the effect of HIPOs through testing and web analysis software – prove what your customers want, not what your boss may want!
John Ashton’s Brighton SEO quotes:
“It’s hard to kill your babies – It’s the web – kill your babies!” – don’t get overly precious about some of your projects. If it’s not working, you need to let it go.
“Never fear to fail – failure is good. Just never do it again.”