Internet Facts – Part 1
We all use the internet everyday and it is now a major part of most of our lives. But how many blogs are there out there? Who invented the internet? Who invented the worldwide web? How many registered website are there? How many images are uploaded to FlickR everyday? …And more.
Who invented the World Wide Web?
- Sir Timothy John “Tim” Berners-Lee, an Englishman, invented the World Wide Web in 1989.
- This is not to be confused with the invention of the internet; the internet was invented in 1969 by the US Department of Defence as a means of communication if they were attacked by Russia, and first records of development date back to the 1950s
- 3 Million pictures and videos are uploaded on Flickr everyday
- Every month it an estimated 350 million people browse the world’s 10s of millions of blogs
Registered website growth
- Between 1995- 2000, 20 million .com sites were registered
Early Growth of the Internet
- In 1994 Web usage was growing at 2300% a year
The Very First E-commerce site
- In 1994 Pizza Hut became the first company to venture into e-commerce, with “Pizza Net”; a service that allowed customers in Santa Cruz, California to order pizzas online. This made the front page headlines of a major US Newspaper’s business section
Court order allowing web-commerce
- In 1994 the injunction previously outlawing web commerce was lifted, paving the way for the likes of Amazon, the world’s first major ecommerce site
- Amazon was founded by Jeff Bezos in 1994 and now has 124 million customers
Source = BBC’s very interesting programme on the internet “Virtual Revolution”