30 Million UK Facebook Users
Facebook announced last week that it now has more than 30 million UK users. That’s around half the population which is very good news for anyone in the business of social media marketing. The site has added around 4 million UK users in the last eight months alone.
Globally, Facebook has experienced rapid growth. There were only 150 million registered users in January 2009. Today there are more than 500 million registered users (we go in more depth here: Facebook usage by country) Twitter in comparison currently has over 100 million registered users worldwide,
Foursquare has around 7 million and MySpace at its pre-2008 peak had over 100 million global users making Facebook the most dominant social network by far.
In 2010, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s founder and Chief Executive, said it was “almost a guarantee” that the site would hit one billion users.
Fast Facebook Facts:
- Launched at Harvard in February 2004.
- People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on the site.
- An average user has 130 friends.
- There are over 900 million objects in total that Facebook users can interact with, such as community pages.
- The average Facebook user is connected 80 pages, groups and events.
- The average member creates 90 pieces of content each month.
- More than 30 billion pieces of content, like photos, web links and news stories, are shared each month.
- About 70 per cent of Facebook users are from outside of the US.
- It took five months for Facebook to attract an extra 100 million users, from 400 million to 500 million.
- The site has yet to become the leading social network in Russia, China, Japan or Korea.
- Goldman Sachs valued the site at $50bn earlier this year.